Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Although this isn't exactly a "Vegas" story, Eliza gave her okay on my Pittman Story. Pittman Library closed about a year ago. So many HDPL staff worked there over the years, I thought I'd mark this anniversay with sharing it's last day one more time.

A week ago today we locked Pittman’s door for good. Pittman, that hard-to-find-library, was a small refuge in a neighborhood teemed with economic and social challenges. For almost three years I’ve had the privilege of working there. There’s been a lot said about this place, I just wanted to add one more footnote about its last day.

It started out as a typical Thursday afternoon. Young adults began showing up a little after one. Jesus strolled in about then. He and I have a long history. I think I’ve personally kicked him out a dozen times. Jesus can be brash, loud, insolent and even funny. But he’s taller, older and quiet now, he even calls me miss.

Adriana comes in afterwards. There is never an afternoon when she doesn’t ask if there’s something she can help with. Besides Jesus she’s got 4 older brothers. She has told me in confidence, “They don’t pay much attention to me now, but after college when I get that great job, my brothers will respect me.” I have no doubt.

By 2:30 like clockwork all the computer stations are occupied. Teens and adults are queued by the PACs making reservations. If you walked in about now you might be surprised by the quiet. No cells phones go off, no chatting, they all speak in hushed tones, sounds a little like Martial Law or Catholic School, right? Truth is the teens actually like Pittman because it is quiet. I found this out last year when some of our regulars filled out a needs assessment survey for a school project I was working on.

It’s around 3:30 and Emmanuel (Hinman Kindergartener extraordinaire, resident artist and all around cutie-pie) comes in, that is all four feet of him. He approaches my desk, as he does every afternoon, with his jacket hood pulled down over his eyes. He thinks I won’t recognize him. Sitting behind my desk is a yellow coffee mug with a sticky note that bears his name and reads “Tote Bag Fund 38 cents”. Emmanuel’s has been saving for a HDPL reusable tote bag since summer. Little does he know that before we opened Tamra and I pulled out our wallets and added the needed 62 cents.

Shortly after Emmanuel made his entrance Lori and Omar Hansen, storytellers from Idaho, were ready to sing and tell stories to 38 children seated on the carpet. The children laughed and watched intently at their tall tales, songs and jokes.

Krystal our Homework Help tutor from Basic High School arrives. She’s been coming since December, earning her NHS volunteer hours, but I think she’d come regardless of hours earned. She usually sits on the back table with Emmanuel and others helping them with writing, math and reading. Although she sees the storytellers here, I ask her to stay. She sits in the back and reads Crime and Punishment. Yes, she one of those teens who give young adult a good name. She is also a dedicated volunteer at Hinman Elementary working with small groups focusing on literacy skills. When Kathy and I presented our workshops during January and February, Krystal took time off of work and arranged transportation to attend all four sessions. Yeah, she’s pretty amazing and we were all grateful to have her. When five o’clock draws near I try to thank her and express how much she has meant to all of us. Together, we get pretty weepy. Then she stops for a moment; she wants me to know that she plans to be a teacher.

There were two more difficult goodbyes, one to our wonderful Boys and Girls Club neighbor, Diane, and the other to Joshua our security guard, a young man well beyond his years. Joshua kept us safe and was such a wonderful role model, he’d even help the kids with tricky math problems.

There are so many other wonderful, colorful, maddening individuals that made Pittman, well Pittman and I’m grateful for all it. Oh, and one more thing when Emmanuel left that afternoon he was carrying a new dark green tote bag.

Lisa
3/5/09

1 comment:

Jess said...

That's beautiful, Lisa:) It's too bad that Pittman isn't around anymore.